Weddings…they are amazing, but most of the weddings involve some type of drama. The level of drama can range from a small fight over budgets with your parent to being a bridezilla that causes A lot of the time it’s between the bride and the bridesmaids or family.
This is why Karen and I have decided by the time we get married, we are forgoing the big, fancy wedding and going straight to eloping.
As I keep racking more weddings under my belt, I feel like I could plan one with my eyes closed. Just kidding, but one thing that everyone asks me is what are the bridal party duties.
Here is a summary of all the bridal duties based on your title.
Maid of Honor
This is the most important and demanding job of the bridal party. If you are ever asked to be the Maid of Honor or “MOH,” before you accept, take a step back and see if you can do what is asked. If not, say it.
- Help with all things wedding shopping related if the bride asks prior to the wedding
- Helps with any of the bride’s needs on the day of
- Plans the bridal shower
- Plans the bachelorette party
- Helps the invites and tastings if asked
- Holds the bride’s bouquet during the ceremony
- Makes sure the bride gets the bouquet when she walks after the ceremony
- Fixes the train of the dress during the ceremony, pictures, and any other big events
- Main POC between the bride and the bridesmaid. The MOH is the main point of contact to relay messages for all the events. The bridesmaids assist on the day of the wedding, but the main responsibilities falls on the MOH.
- Holds the groom’s ring during the ceremony
- Greets guests at the reception
- Attends the bridal shower
- Attends the bachelorette party
- Assists during throughout the wedding ceremony when asked by the MOH.
- A bridesmaid is not responsible for leading things unless the MOH cannot perform the duty, but the MOH should be a part of the planning as much as possible to help out the bridesmaids.
As a word of advice being a bridesmaid more times than I can count, be mindful of your bridesmaids. Don’t expect the world out of them, remember, it is your special day, but they also have their own personal lives, expenses, and maybe their own significant other.